Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fall, first day of school and other ramblings



I'm struggling a little bit. Many of you know, I homeschooled Kristopher (who has PDD)  last year.  I had to pull him out of an inappropriate program.  It just was not for him.   So we jumped in feet first.  And he came LEAPS and bounds from where he was.  It was something both of us needed.   Him to catch up per say and for me, it really taught me his learning style.   If anything, it has made me a better advocate because I know what he is capable of, academically speaking.  Which I could only guess before, but now I know.  What a good feeling. 

This is Kris getting on the bus the first day...


  However, homeschooling a child with a disability isn't just days of teaching and being by yourselves.   We had twelve (yes 12!) therapy sessions four days a week.   I had twelve people in and out of my house every week and had to keep my then-almost- 2 yr old out of their hair for every one of them.
  
   Now with all that said, I would homeschool him again in a heartbeat. Kristopher is a VERY social boy and seems to really love his class so far.  I met his teacher last year and insisted he go on a few visits in the classroom to make sure it was a good fit.  And he really enjoyed it.  And I had a VERY good feeling when I met the teacher.  He seems like a wonderful teacher and really "gets" these kids.    I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse, but my "gut" feelings always turn out to be right.  When I have a bad feeling, it usually always ends in disaster.   So I'm praying that my gut is right again. 

Johnny ready for his bus to come on his first day

Johnny has started school at the private school I visited last year and he is really enjoying his new school as well!  It's extremely small and just what I was looking for.  And the perk is, if Kris's current placement doesn't work out, I can homeschool him again and send him to the PIE (partners in education) program, which is a homeschool program,  at the private school Johnny is attending.   So I am hoping and praying that having these plans in place works out for the best.




   I was in almost a full blown panic the week before school started.  I couldn't sleep, eat and was basically a nervous wreck worrying about everything.  Which did absolutely no good at all.   Let's just say I'm glad the first few days of school are over and I'm calm again.  AMEN!

I started out feeling very guilty about this, but I am choosing joy.    Choosing to be happy about my decision instead of dread.  Nothing is set in stone.  And I had to keep reminding myself of that.  And then it all came together.


The positive here is that it's FALL!  My FAVORITE time of year!!!!  And my wonderful Aunt Mary baked my husband a DELICIOUS apple pie!  And we enjoyed it with vanilla ice cream last night! YUM!!!!!



Fall ball is in full effect.  And my little catcher and batter (#22)  is a good one!  Johnny sure is a natural.  We don't know where he gets it from!  Certainly NOT us! :)   Kris and Johnny both are going to start swim team in a few weeks.  Cub scouts starts up again (twice a month) and of course piano (which we do year round).    However in the midst of all this I am a HUGE believer in DOWN TIME, which is why I almost didn't let them join the swim team.  3 times a week seems like a lot to me.  But they will try it the first day and then decide whether they want to commit or stay in their Saturday morning stroke refinement class.  Either is fine with me!     Kids need time to be KIDS!  I know they thrive on structure.  But their own "free" time is when they truly grow and learn, in my humble opinion.  






Now last but not least, I get to spend my days with this lil one!  She is loving being a mama to her dolls and "mom read a book" is her favorite thing to ask me these days.   I sure am blessed to be these kids Mama.  I pray I am doing the right things with them and asking God to lead the way!


I am linking up with Tuesdays Unwrapped at Chatting at the sky, come and join us!

XOXO

13 comments:

emily freeman said...

Yay, you did it! Great, cozy post. And I simply love that first shot of the bus in front of your house with the morning fog and the early sun. Perfect September shot!

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Fall is my favorite season too! Your kids are adorable.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kristi, what a great post and boy do you have a lot on your plate plus building a new home. I would have stressed out for sure. I don't know how you do it all.

Anonymous said...

the only times I ever regret anything is when I don't follow that "gut" feeling.

Gloria

Becca Bertotti said...

Hey there ... thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet note about my trip! I've missed keeping up in blogland ... great to be back after a hectic summer! Congrats with getting your precious boys off to school ... proud Mommy you are, for sure!

I LOVE your new home and look forward to more pics. The Rooster weathervane is gorgeous! I remember way.back.when, you and I were discussing paint colors in the kitchen. What'd you decide on?

Take care, Becca (Adventures in Decorating)

Becca Bertotti said...

And, PS: I just saw your other comment on my kitchen Fall decor. Thanks for your kind words. So, you're going with Ivoire? Awesome! You'll love it. Our great room/foyer/hallways are Restrained Gold (same color strip). Love them. I can't wait to see your house ... it's going to be spectacular! Take care, Becca

These Are The Days said...

Good luck with Johnny, I'm sure he'll do great and have a fun year. I know how it is to worry like crazy and then realize it did no good. :)

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

It seems like just yesterday I was homeschooling my daughter! We homeschooled from grades 2-6. Today she drove by herself into Atlanta for college classes! It's hard not to worry about your kids no matter what age they are. I always go with my gut feelings they've never been wrong!

Manuela

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Your family is beautiful! I love all your first day of school photos... the smiles are all so sweet! :) I am so glad fall is finally here... it's my favorite!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Kristi! Thanks for stopping by. By the way, those red/gold pillows are already sold, sorry.

I have never sat on any of Ballards furniture either, they don't usually have a lot of upholstered things in the outlet stores in ATL. I imagine they would be pretty good, but have you looked at the Ektorp sofa from Ikea? I constantly hear how great it is & I've seen it at the store in ATL, really good looking in person & you can get several slipcovers for it. I saw a pretty beigey linen slipcover too when I was there last time. Might be something to look into.

So you are building another house? how exciting!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kristi, I just scrolled back to see your house building pics. Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all. What fun for you. And I saw the pic of you & your hubby. You are just as beautiful as ever.

Deserae said...

Fall is also my favorite time of year...the leaves turning...the crisp air...I love it all! Best of luck with the school situation....always go with your gut and you will never regret your decisions! I know...easier said than done right?!?! LOL
~Des

Jen Kershner said...

Yay for choosing joy! All you can do is what you think is best at any given time and if it doesn't work out you can always try something different.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails