Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kitchen Details

First,  I'd like to thank you ALL for your sweet comments on my kitchen!  You all made me feel so good!  So THANK YOU again!  It's been a labor of love all of these years.   But that is what makes it fun right?!   I love to decorate so it has changed many times and finally gotten to where I really love it.  French country is ME!

A few of you asked some questions so I will post some pictures of the things and answer them for you!

The wall color is Sherwin Williams Blonde.  Which I love and will probably use it (along with it's lighter sister Ivorie) in the new house.  Finding paint colors is HARD!  But when you find one you like, STICK with it! :)



My window treatments were made by one of my good friends Kathleen!  We met when our boys went to preschool together.   She made all her own curtains and valances in her own home. Someone walked into her house and said you should go into business and she did! Her husband made her a real work table and workroom in her basement.   She is a fantastic seamstress!  I had all the fabrics ( I have a fabric buying sickness, lol  my basement is embarrassing!) and drew her a very pitiful picture of what I thought I wanted and she made it EXACTLY!   Her and I always joke that someday we'll go into business together.  She likes the fabrics I pick and admits she would NEVER think to put what I put together, but then likes the end result, lol.   I have mostly ready-made curtains in my house (because I have a sewing machine and don't know how to sew!) but splurged in this room!  She also made me some london valances in my LR that I will show another day.


I almost NEVER pay a lot of money for anything and almost never buy new either!  #1 I'm cheap, but mostly I love the thrill of the hunt and the variety you get at thrift stores, consignment shops, yard sales and etc.  And I think it's SO much fun to bring a piece home that you know will look great with all your other things.  And to pay next to NOTHING for it is the icing on the cake!



My rooster lamp came from the City Mission for $2.  My mother found this one for me, she KNEW I would LOVE IT and she was right!  Thanks mom!  I found the lampshade on eBay, which is the exact fabric used in the rest of the room. They had an auction of 5 lampshades with this one included and when the lot didn't sell, the seller sold me this one for $3 plus shipping.  Another fun find!






My rolling pin collection are all from thrift stores, I don't think I ever paid more than $2 for any of them.  I got the crock at a AJ Wright. 



This little sofa table was found at a garage sale a few years back for $25. I had NO intention of garage saling, I was on my way to somewhere else when I spotted it driving down the road. I turned my car RIGHT around, LOL.   I didn't have a DIME on me.  I pleaded with the man running the yard sale that I was going to the ATM and would be RIGHT back.  I literally went right to the ATM and back and there were people swooning over it!   When I got home I found a name on it and googled it.  Turns out it's very pricey furniture, LOL!  It's all wood and french country, what's not to love?! :)





The rooster plates my dear cousin found for me out thrifting!  I had the plate hanger in my basement from a thrift store, waiting for some plates to go in it! Score!






My crystal lamp on the kitchen counter is from Salvation Army.  I found this beauty for $2.99 about 5 yrs ago and knew it was coming home with me! The plate, plate holder, fleur jar and rooster and topiary spoons all came from AJ Wright for next to nothing.






My coffee lamp!  It's a vintage coffee maker turned into a lamp, found it this way at City Mission for $5.99!  Can you tell I like lamps?  Another obsession of mine!







The jelly cabinet I found at Salvation Army for $8 and gave it a makeover.  I added the wood fleur de lis and then painted it black and decoupaged some roosters that were scraps from a wallpaper border.  I decoupaged some more on top and stenciled the big gold fleur on top.  It was a very fun project!  It holds my tablecloths and cloth napkins which we use everyday because I'm cheap it's green!  No throwing away paper napkins everyday!

                                          before-
      




The chalkboard was covered in another post. You can look at it here. I made it from a frame I got at a consignment shop.






I got this silver bucket (I like it tarnished!) bucket with lion head sides at a thrift store in Florida and it fits all my junk in there nicely!



  I am linking up to A Few of my Favorite Things at Bargain Hunting and chatting with Laurie!  Come and join the fun! :)

Well I think I'll leave it at that. I could bore you to tears with all my goodies, LOL!  But these are a few of my favorite things!  In the kitchen at least! :)
XOXO

27 comments:

All That Glitters said...

I love everything!!! I might have to get you to pick out some fabric for my curtains when I decided to repaint my kitchen! I'm so glad I share the love of finding a deal too!

Elise said...

Oh my word, everything you said{minus the french country part} sounds exactly like me!! Your kitchen is beautiful and I love hearing prices of good deals gotten.
As far as your son goes, I would get him tested just to be on the safe side...I never would have imagined that Lilly had diabetes. I didn't know what it could have been, but thankfully{not that it mattered as far as the doctor was concerned-grrr...} my husband had an inkling that it was diabetes. I really hope your son doesn't have it and its something much less.
Elise

Nancy Rosalina said...

I'm new to your blog! LOOOOVE it! Your thrifty finds are beautiful and the valance over the sink is gorgeous! I think I found you through Kim at savvy southern style...I'll be back to visit more.

Nancy

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I too LOVE Country French decor and girl you got on going on!! I absolutely loved everything, you have a beautiful kitchen!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oh my...your kitchen is gorgeous! I love everything!

The window treatment is just stunning and all of the accessories you have added are wonderful! I think the rolling pin collection in the rooster container is my favorite...beautiful!

I just found your blog today and I am thrilled to be able to follow along! Can't wait to see more!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Angie said...

Love all your gorgeous accessories and was totally NOT bored reading about them. I was excited! Oh, you have no idea how you are inspiring me!!!

Red Door Home said...

Your new kitchenlooks fabulous. Love all the changes you made. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I am flattered that you have saved pictures of my house. We too have moved a few times and it seems to always be when we think we are finished with everything. My husband and i have a joke about never finishing all our projects because then we will have to move!

xinex said...

I am admiring everything! I can't believe the prices you paid for those beauties. You should take me shopping with you:-)....Christine

Stacey said...

OK, I'm officially in love with every single thing you showed! Those lamps are to die for! The shades are perfect and colorful. Love the collection of rolling pins too.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Loved seeing your treasures. I really like your redo on the jelly cabinet. You are not being cheap - you are being frugal and "green' like you said.:D
Enjoy your weekend.

xinex said...

Hi Kristi! I am back! Everytime I see your window valance, I drool, lol. I found the candle chandy from Ebay.....Christine

vignette design said...

Your kitchen is so charming! I love everything you displayed. Thanks for the tour!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I LOVE all of it! I also have a "thing" for lamps, and I love all of yours, but that coffee maker lamp is so unique and so cute! I'm going to look for a pretty coffee maker to make into a lamp. And that lamp shade you got on ebay is perfect on the rooster lamp. I want to go shopping with you - except we would probably get into a bidding war, because I love everything you buy! I have a "thing" for fabric too (especially if it's on sale), and I don't sew either, but I am not very good at mixing patterns. I said it last time I was here, but I LOVE those window treatments. I'm so glad you linked this to Favorite Things Sat. laurie

Maryrose said...

What a great post. You sure have a way with the bargain shopping. Your valance turned out so pretty, I too love the fabrics you used together.
I think half the fun of a project like this is reliving all of those great finds.
Maryrose

Diann said...

Wow! Lots of fun thrift finds here! I love them all! Yor curtains are just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love all of your favorite things too! I need to go back and look at your previous posts!

Your blog is fabulous!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Susan Freeman said...

Hi Kristi! What fabulous finds!! Love your vintage rolling pins grouped together and that urn turned lamp is darling too. Everything is!! I'm your newest follower.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Rachelle said...

Looks great! Thats the same layout as my Dad's kitchen when I lived with him.. :)


Brings back great memories.. love it!

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

LOVE!
LOVE!
LOVE!
That about says it :)

Anonymous said...

I think I just shorted my keyboard out from all the drool Ü
Absolutely gorgeous! And I think Kathleen needs a website (or let us know if she does) so I can finally get some window treatments up in my house Ü I'd have to pinch myself if those hanging in my house....wow!

Red Head said...

I keep coming back to drool over your kitchen. Trying to make some decisions about my own. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful space!

~Red Head
www.thatredheadedstepchild.com

Jaybird said...

Okay....I don't have any idea which room I love the most....they are all absolutely stunning!!!
THANK you so much for sharing with us.
Jaybird

Unknown said...

Hi, I just found your blog while looking for window treatment ideas. I love your kitchen valance. I also use Ivoire and Blond and agree when you find something you LOVE, stay with it!

Anna Schafer said...

If anyone knows of a brand that doesn't taste like sandpaper, please enlighten me.Kansas City Granite Countertops

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I see I missed this post, and am so glad I came back. You have the greatest pieces! Your valances are SPECTACULAR!!! I wish I had a seamstress friend, I am still in need of window treatments 2 years after we built this house! Oh dear, it is making me crazy.You are so inspirational. Thanks!!

Anna Schafer said...

They had an auction of 5 lampshades with this one included and when the lot didn't sell, the seller sold me this one for $3 plus shipping. Another fun find! Portable Induction Cooktop Review

مصطفي جابر said...

egybest تشاهد من خلاله افلام مدبلجة

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails