Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The frugal kitchen part 1






I have been thinking about doing one of these posts, since I seem to be falling more and more in love with cooking. I am always looking for ways to help stretch a dollar. And the kitchen is no exception. I have found that it's usually a win-win situation if you find a few uses for the same thing. Which brings us to bread crumbs. They are SO much better if you make your own! You can season them any way you desire. I tend to like to make them and freeze them plain. That way when I pull them out to use them I can season them anyway I please. Or sometimes just leave them plain! I promise they will be SO much tastier (is that a word?) than their store bought counterparts! And you can make them as fine or as chunky as you want.



I usually start by toasting bread in the oven until crisp all the way through. If your family doesn't like the "ends" of the bread you can throw them in the freezer until you have enough to make a batch. Sometimes I buy a loaf of bread just to make them! Depends on what I have here. Other times I put the bread in the food processor first and then toast. Either way is fine whichever you prefer. If I am making more of a chunkier panko-type breadcrumb then I smash them up after they are toasted. I usually use my pounder that I use for meat.



Make them, I know you will love them! XO






2 comments:

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi kristi, you go girl with making bread crumbs....I'm too lazy!

About my stove, it's a Thermador with 4 gas burners and an electric convection oven. I hate it...it's so hard to keep clean...the black under the burners is a nightmare. The oven is small and I paid way too much for it. If I were smarter I could have gotten the look of stainless and lots more bells and whistles for much less money but, you know how it is when you think you have to have something! That was 13 yrs ago and getting the look of a professional stove is what everyone wants now so there's more to pick from. Have fun looking!

Jen Kershner said...

As someone that hates to waste anything, I'm right there with you girl! I usually have a bag of orphaned bread in my freezer. I also like to make home made croutons. Yum-o!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails