Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Broadening my horizons





I don't think I have blogged about my "work" before. In my former life, as I call it, I worked in the building industry for 10 years before having my children. I worked in almost all aspects of the building supplies business(aka lumber yard) servicing builders accounts, directly with the public and also in the accounting end. I had every intention of going back to work after I had my first baby. Then I found out that my first baby was my first and second baby. That is a story for different day! Needless to say, I became a stay-at-home mom and haven't looked back.


However, I needed something to do that let me use my creativity and my love for decorating. I hesitate to use the word design because in no way am I accredited. That is when I started decorating model homes for Builders. It started out that I would just come in when the house was done and work my magic. Sometimes I would have furniture and other decor to work with (from previous models) and other times I would have to start from scratch and shop for furniture, accessories, window treatments and etc. Then that evolved into me doing the house from the ground up, where I pick the siding colors, toilets, kitchen and etc. It has been a VERY fun and creative outlet for me. Which I enjoy so much. And my husband loves it because he says it slows me down from ripping things apart and starting over here at home!


I always worked with builders because it allowed me to work on my own time and with three kids, we all know how much time that leaves! But I recently started offering my services to homeowners. Which is very exciting! I am currently helping someone with their family room.


When people say "do what you love" this is one of the things I love. And I have realized how important it is to do what you love. Life is short, live it to the fullest!

photo courtesy of my foyer

3 comments:

Jen Kershner said...

Kristi! That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you. And to think, I knew you when! I can't wait to hear more about it.

These Are The Days said...

Cute entry table and decor. I thin that sounds like a fabulous job. Enjoy it!

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Ah... that is what I love too. I want to come and work with you!!! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails